[R] Incomplete Output from lmer{lme4}

Lusk, Jeffrey J jjlusk at purdue.edu
Thu May 18 17:40:17 CEST 2006

I'm still relatively new to R, so my apologies if this is covered
somewhere.  I've been running some mixed-effect models in R using
lme{nlme}, but read in Faraway's recent book, Extending the Linear Model
with R, that lmer in package lme4 is a much improved version.  I tried
using this approach, but the output for the fixed effects doesn't report
a p-value or the degrees of freedom (unlike the examples listed in
Faraway's book, which I tried and got the same incomplete output).  Any
idea how I can get the complete output?

In a related problem, I've been having trouble with the lines and abline
in the graphics package.  Occasionally, they fail to add the requested
line to the figure, but R doesn't return any error (it's as if executing
the command does nothing).  I've replicated this problem with code and
data directly from R texts such as Crawley's Statistics: An Introduction
Using R, so I don't think it is operator error (but it could be).  Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff--

Jeffrey J. Lusk, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Forestry & Natural Resources
Purdue Climate Change Research Center
Purdue University
715 West State Street; Pfendler Hall
West Lafayette, IN 47907