[R] E(1/(X+c)) ? where X ~ Chi-square(n) and c is a constant.

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri May 19 05:26:05 CEST 2006

	  In case you don't already have all this, permit me to identify it as
a confluent hypergeometric function.  Abramowitz and Stegun (1964)
Handbook of Mathematical Functions (National Bureau of Standard, Applied
Math Series 55, expression 13.2.5):

Gamma(a)U(a, b, z) =
integral{over t=0 to Inf of
exp(-z*t)*((t^(a-1))*((1+t)^(b-a-1))*dt}

See also Luke (1969) The Special Functions and their Approximations,
vol. I (Academic Press, p. 116, sec. 4.2, expr. (7)).

	  It is probably contained in any book that discusses the confluent
hypergeometric function.

	  I would write the chi-square as a gamma distribution, then factor out
the "c" in your expression, then change variables to get an integral of
this form.

	  Abramowitz and Stegun is available on the web.  I felt the need to
download two different versions, because one was searchable but
incomplete while the other was complete but not searchable.  See, e.g.,
"www.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands".

	  hope this helps,
	  Spencer Graves