[R] Negative value on ternaryplot

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Sat May 20 00:47:58 CEST 2006

Poizot Emmanuel wrote:
> Dear all,
> I found a wonderful package (vcd) able to plot ternary diagrams, i.e.
> ternaryplot (thanks D. Meyer).
> The problem is that one of three variable has negative values.
> If I use the ternaryplot function but some points are outside the
> triangle, as value en negative.
> Is it possible to make the ternary diagram fit exactly the cloud points ?
> Regards

Hi Emmanuel,

As Christos has already pointed out, triangle/ternary plots are intended
to display triplets of values that add up to a constant. Negative
numbers stretch the definition a bit. One could take triax.plot from
plotrix and rejig the code to have the axes running from -0.5 to 1.5.
This might appear to work, but the interpretation of such a plot would
be difficult at best. Perhaps you want a 3D plot of some type like
scatterplot3D?

Jim