[R] iraq statistics - OT

Martin Henry H. Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Fri May 19 16:06:13 CEST 2006

Though I agree that the violent death rate in US cities is sad, I
would also guess that the estimates are relatively accurate. I would
also say that the "experimental design" assumed in the article is
potentially badly flawed, with tremendous underreporting in Iraq and
meticulous reporting in US cities.
Hank
On May 19, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Elio Mineo wrote:

> For what the article says, every country should have a war to have a
> lower violent death rate!!
>
> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>
>> I came across this one:
>>
>> http://www.nysun.com/article/32787
>>
>> which says that the violent death rate in Iraq (which presumably
>> includes violent deaths from the war) is lower than the violent
>> death rate in major American cities.
>>
>> Does anyone have any insights from statistics on how to
>> interpret this?

>> guide.html
>>

> --
> ------------
> Angelo M. Mineo
> Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche e Matematiche "S. Vianelli"
> Università degli Studi di Palermo
> Viale delle Scienze
> 90128 Palermo
> url: http://dssm.unipa.it/elio

> guide.html

Dr. M. Hank H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056