[R] Weird LM behaviour

Jason Barnhart jasoncbarnhart at msn.com
Fri May 19 22:01:00 CEST 2006

No, not weird.

Think of it this way.  As you move point (0,2) to (1,2) the slope which was
0 is moving towards infinity.  Eventually the 3 points are perfectly
vertical and so must have infinite slope.

Your delta-x is not sufficiently granular to show the slope change for
x-values very close to 1 but not yet 1, like 0.999999999.  Note lm returns
NA when x=1.

As for the localized variation my guess is these are the artifact of having
3 data points.

-jason