[R] nlme model specification

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat May 20 17:39:05 CEST 2006

	  Thanks for providing such a simple, replicatable example.  When I
tried that and similar examples, the response matched what you report.
I also tried the following slight modification of the 'nlme' call that
worked for you:

 > mod4 <-
+    nlme(circumference ~ SSlogis(age, Asym, xmid, scal),
+        data = Orange,
+        fixed = list(Asym+xmid+scal ~ 1),
+        start = fixef(fm1Oran.lis))
Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : syntax error in "~ "

	  This error message matches what you got.  I tentatively conclude that
'fixed' does NOT like an argument of class 'list'.  To diagnose this
further, I tried 'traceback':

 > traceback()
6: parse(text = paste("~", paste(nVal, collapse = "/")))
5: eval(parse(text = paste("~", paste(nVal, collapse = "/"))))
4: getGroupsFormula.reStruct(reSt)
3: getGroupsFormula(reSt)
2: nlme.formula(circumference ~ SSlogis(age, Asym, xmid, scal),
        data = Orange, fixed = list(Asym + xmid + scal ~ 1), start =
fixef(fm1Oran.lis))
1: nlme(circumference ~ SSlogis(age, Asym, xmid, scal), data = Orange,
        fixed = list(Asym + xmid + scal ~ 1), start = fixef(fm1Oran.lis))

	  I then tried to further isolate the problem using 'debug':

 > debug(getGroupsFormula.reStruct)
Error: object "getGroupsFormula.reStruct" not found

	  Unfortunately, it's hidden is a namespace:

 > methods("getGroupsFormula")
[1] getGroupsFormula.default*  getGroupsFormula.gls*
[3] getGroupsFormula.lme*      getGroupsFormula.lmList*
[5] getGroupsFormula.reStruct*

    Non-visible functions are asterisked

	  I could trace this further by making local copies of all the
functions in the call stack, but I don't have time for that right now.
'help(package="nlme")' says the 'author' is Pinheiro, Bates, DebRoy, and
Sarkar, and the 'Maintainer' is 'R-core'.  I've cc-ed Bates on this
reply.  If you don't hear from someone else in a few days, you might
consider making local copies of the functions in this call stack, then
trying 'debug(getGroupsFormula.reStruct)', and generating another post
based on what you learn doing that.  You might see, for example, if the
example that works also calls 'getGroupFormula.reStruct'.

	  I'm sorry I couldn't provide an answer, but with luck, my reply will
inspire someone else to do something that can enlighten us both.

	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer Graves
p.s.  Before you submit another post on this, I suggest you
'update.packages'.  A new version of 'nlme' is now available.  It won't
solve your problem, but it at least will assure someone else that you
are up to date.

 > sessionInfo()
Version 2.3.0 (2006-04-24)
i386-pc-mingw32

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
     nlme
"3.1-72"