[R] Can lmer() fit a multilevel model embedded in a regression?

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon May 22 03:45:01 CEST 2006

Andrew Gelman wrote:
> Harold,
>
> I get confused by the terms "fixed" and "random".  Our first-level model
> (in the simplified version we're discussing here) has 800 data points
> (the persons in the study) and 84 predictors:  sex, age, and 82
> coefficients for foods.  The second-level model has 82 data points (the
> foods) and two predictors:  a constant term and folic acid concentration.
>
> It would be hopeless to estimate the 82 food coefficients via maximum
> likelihood, so the idea is to do a multilevel model, with a regression
> of these coefficients on the constant term and folic acid.  The
> group-level model has a residual variance.  If the group-level residual
> variance is 0, it's equivalent to ignoring food, and just using total
> folic acid as an individual predictor.  If the group-level residual
> variance is infinity, it's equivalent to estimating the original
> regression (with 84 predictors) using least squares.
>
> The difficulty is that the foods aren't "groups" in the usual sense,
> since persons are not nested within foods; rather, each person eats many
> foods, and this is reflected in the X matrix.
>
> Andrew

A great reference for that kind of model, plus a way to 'connect' foods
via a composition matrix is

   author =               {Greenland, Sander},
   title =                {When should epidemiologic regressions use
random coeff
icients?},
   journal =      Biometrics,
   year =                 2000,
   volume =               56,
   pages =                {915-921},
   annote =               {Bayesian methods;causal inference;empirical
Bayes estimators;epidemiologic method;hierarchical regression;mixed
models;multilevel modeling;random-coefficient
regression;shrinkage;variance components;use of statistics in
epidemiology is largely primitive;stepwise variable selection on
confounders leaves important confounders uncontrolled;composition
matrix;example with far too many significant predictors with many
regression coefficients absurdly inflated when
overfit;lack of evidence for dietary effects mediated through
constituents;shrinkage instead of variable selection;larger effect on
confidence interval width than on point estimates with variable
selection;uncertainty about variance of random effects is just
uncertainty about prior opinion;estimation of variance is
pointless;instead the analysis shuld be repeated using different
values;"if one feels compelled to estimate $\tau^2$, I would recommend
giving it a proper prior concentrated amount contextually reasonable
values";claim about ordinary MLE being unbiased is misleading because
it assumes the model is correct and is the only model
entertained;shrinkage towards compositional model;"models need to be
complex to capture uncertainty about the relations...an honest
uncertainty assessment requires parameters for all effects that we
know may be present.  This advice is implicit in an antiparsimony
principle often attributed to L. J. Savage 'All models should be as
big as an elephant (see Draper, 1995)'"}

Frank