[R] Manipulating code?

Johannes Hüsing johannes at huesing.name
Tue May 23 18:26:17 CEST 2006

Dear expeRts,
I am currently struggling with the problem of finding
cut points for a set of stimulus variables. I would like
to obtain cut points iteratively for each variable by
re-applying a dichotomised variable in the model and then
recalculate it. I planned to have fixed names for the
dichotomised variables so I could use the same syntax
for every recalculation of the whole model. I furthermore
want to reiterate the process until no cut point changes
any more.

My problem is in accomplishing this syntactically. How can
I pass a variable name to a function without getting lost
in "as.symbol" and "eval" and "parse" mayhem? I am feeling
I am thinking too much in macro expansion à la SAS when
trying to tackle this.