[R] shapes in rgl

Duncan Golicher dgoliche at sclc.ecosur.mx
Tue May 23 20:29:13 CEST 2006

Does anyone have a way of producing solid shapes other than spheres in
rgl? I am using rgl to produce a simple visualisation of a forest model
results using "lollipops". Its just a bit of fun, but as many of the
trees are pines I would like to depict their crowns as cones. If there
is a solution I need it to work under windows.
Here is the example.

library(rgl)
library(misc3d)

Trees3d<-function(x,y,z,rad,cols="lightgreen"){
  rgl.bg(color="white")
  rgl.spheres(x,(z-rad),-y,rad,col=cols,alpha=1)
  x<-rep(x,each=3)
  y<-rep(y,each=3)
  z<-rep(z-rad*2,each=3)
  a<-seq(3,length(x),by=3)
  y[a]<-NA
  x[a]<-NA
  z[a]<-NA
  a<-seq(1,length(x),by=3)
  z[a]<-0
  lines3d(x,y,z,col="brown",size=5,add=T)
  rgl.bbox(color="black", emission="lightgreen", specular="#3333FF",
shininess=5, alpha=0.8 )
}

x<-runif(100,0,100)
y<-runif(100,0,100)