[R] changing font size in plot(effect())

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu May 25 11:20:17 CEST 2006

Dear Emilie,

This is, I guess, the effect() function in the effects package. If so,
note that the plot.effect() method uses trellis graphics (via the
lattice package), not standard R graphics, so you have to control
aspects of the plot in a manner consistent with trellis graphics.

Unfortunately, you can't just specify the scales argument when you call
plot(), since plot.effect() already includes a scales argument when it
calls xyplot(). You can, however, set trellis parameters globally,
e.g., via something like

axis.text <- trellis.par.get("axis.text")
par.ylab.text <- trellis.par.get("par.ylab.text")
par.xlab.text <- trellis.par.get("par.xlab.text")
axis.text$cex <- 1.5
par.ylab.text$cex <- 1.5
par.xlab.text$cex <- 1.5
trellis.par.set("axis.text", axis.text)
trellis.par.set("par.ylab.text", par.ylab.text)
trellis.par.set("par.xlab.text", par.xlab.text)

Perhaps this can be done more efficiently -- I'm far from a trellis
whiz -- but the above should work.

More generally, in designing the plot method for effect objects, it
wasn't my goal to produce publication-quality plots; for that, I
suggest that you build a custom graph using the information included in
the effect object.

I hope this helps,
 John