[R] parameter-restrictions in OPTIM

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Mon May 29 17:59:17 CEST 2006

One trick is to add a penalty to your function for
violations of the linear constraint.  However, if the
constraint is binding, then gradient methods may
not perform well since the objective won't be
differentiable there.  If the constraint looks to be
binding, then you can reparameterize to a single
parameter.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696