[R] How to choose columns in data.frame by parts of columns' names?

Guo Wei-Wei wwguocn at gmail.com
Wed May 31 07:01:16 CEST 2006

Gabor and Peter,

Thank you. Both of you give me excellent ways. I have a further problem.

How can I get the common parts of column names as column names in a
new data.frame? For example, I combines data of XG1 and YG1 in
data.old and get a new column in data.new named G1. Can It be done
automaticlly?

 data.new[,"G1"]  <- (data.old[,"XG1"] + data.old[,"YG1"])/2