[R] installing rgl package on linux suse 10.1

Steven Gorlé steven.gorle at telenet.be
Wed Nov 1 15:52:24 CET 2006

Dear R wizards,

In windows I get really cool graphs with the rgl package.
However on linux, it seems that I can't install one of my favourite packages.
I get a error message on X11, but all X11 packages are installed on my linux
desktop.
Who can help me out here?

Thanks!

Steven Gorlé

>install.packages()

* Installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for X... no
configure: error: X11 not found but required, configure aborted.
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgl'
** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/rgl'

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmpUAg2Xh/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
installation of package 'rgl' had non-zero exit status in: install.packages()