[R] problem with chooseCRANmirror()

Perry Macdonald pamacdonald at hrl.com
Thu Nov 2 00:30:01 CET 2006

I get this error when using chooseCRANmirror().

 > chooseCRANmirror()
Error in open.connection(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.

The TclTk window comes up and I can scroll and select a mirror, but it
doesn't appear that I can connect properly. I am using RedHat Enterprise.

I also can't connect to download the "akima" package

 > install.packages("akima")
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Error in open.connection(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://www.biometrics.mtu.edu/CRAN/src/contrib
Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available = available,  :
          no package 'akima' at the repositories

I appreciate any direction that I can be given...

Perry