[R] Question on cross-validation in rpart

Brian Sanborn brian at ndr.com
Thu Nov 2 15:28:44 CET 2006

Hi R folks,

I am using R version 2.2.1 for Unix. I am exploring the rpart function,
in particular the rpart.control parameter. I have tried using different
values for xval (0, 1, 10, 20) leaving other parameters constant but I
receive the same tree after each run. Is the10 fold cross-validation
default still running every time? I would expect the trees to change at
least a little when I change the number of folds in the cross-validation
but this is not the case in my tests. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Brian Sanborn