[R] help went away from top emacs window :-(

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Nov 3 06:02:09 CET 2006

      This change has created problems for me using XEmacs 21.4.19 with
ESS 5.3.1

 > ?help

Error in
print.help_files_with_topic("c:/progra~1/R/R-2.4.0/library/utils/chm/help")
:
    CHM file could not be displayed

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

      Restoring the previous default with "options(chmhelp=FALSE)"
eliminates this problem.  From the time I first noticed this problem
until just prior to reading this thread, I used RGui to get help.  (It
wasn't hard to think of this, because 'install.packages' under ESS goes
waits for me to select a mirror -- but without asking me to select
such!  Result:  I used RGui instead of Rterm under XEmacs to
install.packages.)

      FYI.
      Thanks for all your great efforts on R.  It has definitely made me
much more productive, and I believe it is making substantive
contributions to the improvement of people's quality of life all over
the world.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer Graves