[R] Translation of R code required

Sarah White swhite at sgul.ac.uk
Fri Nov 3 18:48:38 CET 2006

Dear All

I am a complete novice when it comes to R.  I have been sent some code
which I need to run on a dataset.  I have downloaded  and installed R
but I dont seem to be able to get the code to run.

I was hoping someone on the list would be able to give me a
'translation' of what the code is trying to do and if there appears to
be any errors in it.

The code is;

mental <- read.csv("dataextract.csv")

mental$Rx <- factor(mental$Rx, levels=c("VS","IPS"))

library(MASS)

model.effect <- glmmPQL(p~Benefit/Rx, ~1|Centre, data=mental, family=quasi(link="identity", variance="mu(1-mu)"), weight=n)

model.combined <- glmmPQL(p~ Rx, ~1|Centre, data=mental, family=quasi(link="identity", variance="mu(1-mu)"), weight=n)

summary(model.effect)
summary(model.combined)

model.overall <-  glmmPQL(p~-1+Benefit, ~1|Centre, data=mental, family=quasi( link="identity",variance="mu(1-mu)"), weight=n)
model.overall.combined <- glmmPQL(p~1, ~1|Centre, data=mental, family=quasi( link="identity",variance="mu(1-mu)"), weight=n)

summary(model.overall)

summary(model.overall.combined)

The dataset being read in has six variables, Centre, p, r, n, Rx and
Benefit.

I would really appreciate help with this.  I am an experienced, SAS,
SPSS, Stata user but never tried R before and I dont have the luxury of
lots of time with which to master it currently.

Sarah

Sarah White
Biostatistician

Research Resource Unit