[R] Random intercept-slope correlation (nlme)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Nov 4 17:23:48 CET 2006

      I'm not certain I understand your question.  Consider the
following modification of an example in the 'nlme' help file:

 > fm1 <- nlme(height ~ SSasymp(age, Asym, R0, lrc),
+    data = Loblolly, fixed = Asym + R0 + lrc ~ 1,
+    random = Asym ~ 1,
+    start = c(Asym = 103, R0 = -8.5, lrc = -3.3))
 > fm2.0 <- update(fm1, random = Asym+lrc~1)
 > intervals(fm2.0)
Approximate 95% confidence intervals

 Fixed effects:
         lower       est.      upper
Asym 96.628100 101.641181 106.654262
R0   -9.190750  -8.639571  -8.088392
lrc  -3.306517  -3.234895  -3.163273
attr(,"label")
[1] "Fixed effects:"

 Random Effects:
  Level: Seed
                    lower        est.      upper
sd(Asym)       3.09405131  5.86255879 11.1082824
sd(lrc)        0.03826032  0.07513534  0.1475502
cor(Asym,lrc) -0.95852796 -0.80525713 -0.2906845

 Within-group standard error:
    lower      est.     upper
0.5309562 0.6386604 0.7682122

      Does this answer your questions?  If no, please provide commented,
minimal, self-contained, reproducible code, as suggested in the posting
guide "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".  If you are not already
fairly familiar with Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in S
and S-Plus (Springer), I suggest you spend more quality time with that
book;  it will likely answer these questions and many more.  I also
suggest you make a local copy of 'simulate.lme' and modify it so it will
simulate model(s) of interest to you and save the results you care about.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves