[R] Install RMySQL with R 2.4.0

Dan Rie drie at portfoliointelligence.com
Sun Nov 5 15:47:52 CET 2006

I had a very similar problem installing RMySQL with R 2.4.0 on  Windows XP.
I beleive that the cause may have been that the RMySQL build used a slightly
older version of the MySQL compiled library functions than was installed on
my machine (I updated both MySQL, DBI, and RMySQL to latest versions prior
to attempting the install).  Since RMySQL links to the compiled MySQL
library, slight differences could affect the linked references.  I do not
know that this is the source of the problem, but it was one obvious point of
fraility.

The solution, suggested by Prof. Brian Ripley on the r-sig-db list, was to
rebuild the RMySQL library from source prior to doing the install.  After
completing the recompilation of the RMySQL package, the install worked as it
should.  I believe that the binaries for RMySQL may have been updated since
I had those problems, so you might also want to make sure that you have the
latest version of all the packages.