[R] Data frames in files - and - SQL with data frames

Jerome Asselin jerome.asselin at crchum.qc.ca
Tue Nov 7 15:46:40 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 15:57 -0300, Eduardo Henrique Altieri wrote:
> Since the databases that I handle with are very large, I need answers
> to some questions:
>
> 1) Can I work with R data frames like databases in SAS, that is,
> storing data frames in files instead of in memory?
>
> 2) Can I use SQL codes to work with R data frames? Note that I ask for
> the direct use, with no need to use a “channel” or to export data
> frames to a DBMS.

Interesting questions... I see that nobody has replied and I was
interested to read other thoughts about it.

I'm curious to know under what scenario you require these features.

To answer your question, personally I don't think it's possible to do
that with R. If I had a very large database, I'd probably focus on
interfacing R with other database system (e.g. MySQL) to which I'd
connect through a channel.

Regards,
--
Jerome Asselin, M.Sc., Agent de recherche, RHCE
CHUM -- Centre de recherche