[R] Complex plotting problem

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Tue Nov 7 18:01:29 CET 2006

Others have given some fairly basic solutions, but if you want the lines
to change color along their length instead of each segment being a
constant color, then there are a couple of other options.

One is to create the plot using a solid color, then use image
manipulation software like imagemagick or gimp to replace the solid
color with a gradient.

Another option is to use the clipplot function in the most recent
version of the TeachingDemos Package (just updated on CRAN).

An example would be:

> library(TeachingDemos)
> x <- sort(runif(100))
> y <- rnorm(100)
> plot(x,y,type='b')
>
> tmp <- seq(par('usr')[3],par('usr')[4], length=11)
> tmp2 <- topo.colors(10) # replace with your color gradient
> for(i in 1:10) {
+ 	clipplot( points(x,y,type='b', col=tmp2[i]), ylim= tmp[ c(i,i+1)
] )
+ }

Hope this helps,

--