[R] CPU or memory

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 21:38:52 CET 2006

> Does any one know of comparisons of the Pentium 9x0, Pentium(r)
> Extreme/Core 2 Duo, AMD(r) Athlon(r) 64 , AMD(r) Athlon(r) 64
> FX/Dual Core AM2 and similar chips when used for this kind of work.

I think your best option, by far, is to answer the question on your
own. Put R and your programs on a USB drive, go to a computer shop,
and ask the sales person to let you try a few configurations. Run your
simulations, time the results and compare. Keep in mind that the
numbers may be affected by the bus and memory frequency (and perhaps
memory size/fragmentation). With regards to single/dual core and 32/64
bit, search the archives and the documentation, it was asked before.
(I guess dual core and 64 bit would be a sound choice.) One other
thing you need to consider (if you haven't already) is ?Rprof, maybe
you can significantly improve the efficiency of your code or write
parts of it in C or Fortran.