[R] CPU or memory

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Wed Nov 8 10:45:22 CET 2006

64bit does not make anything faster. It is only of use if you want to
use more then 4 GB of RAM of if you need a higher precision of your
variables

The dual core question: dual core is faster if programs are able to use
that. What is sure that R cannot make (until now) use of the two cores
if you are stuck on Windows. It works excellent if you use Linux. So if
you want dual core you should work with linux (and then its faster of
course).

The Core 2 duo is the fastest processor at the moment however.

(the E6600 has a good price/performance ration)

What I already told Taka is that it is probably always a good idea to
improve your code for which purpose you could ask in this mailing
list... (And I am very sure that you have there a lot of potential).
Another speeding up possibility is e.g. using the atlas library...
(where I am not sure if you already use it)

Stefan