[R] Comparing models in multiple regression and hierarchical linear regression

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Nov 8 17:54:33 CET 2006

      The questions you ask about the interactions in the model not
making sense relates, I believe, to a multiple comparisons issue that is
not adequately addressed by the stepAIC analysis you did.  To understand
this, note first that you've got something close to 2^(2^5) possible
models:  With 5 main effects, there area 2^5 = 32 possible subsets =
"interaction" terms.  The function stepAIC tries to select from among
models representing all possible subsets of these 2^5 "interaction"
terms.  Just for clarity on this point, suppose we had 2 main effects, A
and B, not 5 as you have.  Then there are 2^2 = 4 possible "interaction"
terms:  1, A, B, and A:B.  Then stepAIC would want to select the best
model from among the 2^4 = 16 models consisting of these 4 terms plus
all possible combinations of them.  With 5 main effects, this set of
possible models balloons to 2^32 = 4.3e9.  Some of them don't make sense
by themselves, e.g., A:B without A and B.  However, I don't think that
will reduce this 4.3e9 by more than an order of magnitude or so -- and
maybe only a few percent.  If we ignore this reduction, then the
Bonferroni correction suggests we multiply all your p values by 4.3e9.
If you still have any that are less than, say, 0.05, then you could
believe those.  Otherwise, I'd be skeptical.  A better way of handling
this, I believe is Bayesian Model Averaging.  An R package BMA is
supposed to address that, but I don't know if it will help you.

      Other questions:  What are your 5 explanatory variables, NR, NS,
PA, KINDERWR, and WM?  In particular, are they numbers representing at
least an ordinal scale or are they categories?  If numbers, you've got
possibilities for parabolic terms that you haven't even considered.  If
categories, how many levels are there?  If some of them have large
numbers of levels, you may want to consider those factors as random
effects.  In that case, you need something to do 'mixed-effects'
modeling.  For that, people use the 'nlme' or 'lme4' packages.

      Have you tried to find a statistician with whom you could consult
or even possibly collaborate on this?

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves