[R] Env: Re: query in R

Hans-Peter gchappi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:46:46 CET 2006

2006/11/9, Ricardo Rodríguez <webmaster at xen.net>:

> Thus, sticking with Excel, there are two options as far as I know: RODBC or the read.xls function included with a number of packages. read.xls temporarely transform your xls files into csv ones. I've never successfully imported data by using this path as I getting a number of errors likely related to my Perl installation (the function uses Perl for the transformation to csv). RODBC is out of the question here as far as we mostly use Mac and Linux boxes. Even though there is ODBC for Mac OS X, we do prefer to avoid it and to natively get the data from MySQL by using RMySQL.

For Linux/Mac I cannot help*, but on the windows platform I'd like to
mention my xlsReadWrite package which is a good thing if you need/want
to work with Excelfiles.

It contains the two commands: "read.xls" and "write.xls" which work
with data.frames and/or matrices. The package can be downloaded from
cran but there is an update due soon (with explicit support for
rownames and datetime handling (as ISO strings)).

--
Regards,
Hans-Peter

*at least right now