[R] R and Fortran 9x -- advice

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Fri Nov 10 01:15:53 CET 2006

Hi,

I found some bottlenecks in my R code with Rprof.  First I wanted to
rewrite them in C, but a colleague keeps suggesting that I learn
Fortran, so maybe this is the time to do it...

I like to learn new languages and do it fairly quickly.  I would
appreciate the advice of others about these questions:

1) I hear bad things about Fortran.  Sure, F77 looks archaic, but
F90/95 seems nicer.  Is it worth learning, especially when I plan to
use it mainly from R?  Dusting off my C knowledge would take a bit of
time too, and I never liked C that much.

2) Does it interface well with R?  Is F90/95 supported, or only F77?

Thanks,

Tamas