[R] Making a case for using R in Academia

Marwan Khawaja mk36 at aub.edu.lb
Fri Nov 10 14:30:23 CET 2006

More impressions --

I think it is not the standard -- often unheard of -- by the social science
community in large research universities in the States where SAS dominates
(unless you are in the Chicago area). So I agree with John.
It is perhaps more popular among social scientists in Europe.

> For now unfortunately we will be sticking with SPSS, despite
> the considerable cost (which was mainly our problem at the
> moment, so SAS is not even being considered for that reason),
> but I am hoping to slowly build enough evidence of the
> extensive use of R for when all this comes up again. Even
> just a list of the universities and departments that use it
> would be very helpful, so any of you who would like to send
> such information about your departments or other departments
> you might know about, off the list, it would be extremely
> helpful to me.
>
> Perhaps it would be useful for such a list to exist somewhere
> online?  (I guess you could say "google", but I find it hard
> to use google to look up such information on R, for the
> obvious reason of the shortness of the name.
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > Among social scientists the picture is not as clear. My
> impression is
> > that SPSS is used very widely for low-levels methods
> courses taught to
> > undergraduates, and not very extensively in the best social-science
> > graduate programmes. I would expect that, at present, Stata use in
> > social- science graduate programmes exceeds R, and that SAS and R
> > would also be used fairly widely. In my opinion, these are the only
> > reasonable choices -- I don't think that SPSS is
> sufficiently capable
> > to compete with R, Stata, or SAS.
> > There are, for example, several different packages used at
> the ICPSR
> > Summer Program in Quantitative Methods for Social Research, but
> > several relatively advanced courses now use R. Likewise, the Oxford
> > Spring School, hosted by the Department of Politics and
> International
> > Relations at Oxford, has mostly employed R and Stata.
>
> Thanks, I will be looking into those. I basically just need
> to look at various universities and their social sciences
> departments, and see what they use there. As other suggested,
> I will be looking into the number of books and papers in R
> and how it is increasing every year.
>
> Once again thank you all for your comments, this has been a
> very helpful discussion for me, and it's a great pleasure to
> find such a helpful and friendly mailing list.
>
> > Of course, my own preference is for R.
> >
> > Regards,
> >  John
>
> Haris

Marwan Khawaja, Ph.D.
Professor & Director
Center for Research on Population & Health
American University of Beirut
P.O. Box 11-0236, Riad El Solh
Beirut 1107 2020 Lebanon

Email: marwan.khawaja at aub.edu.lb