[R] Simplifying Sweave graphics

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Fri Nov 10 18:31:28 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I was wondering if it's possible to simplify graphs created with Sweave.
> I'm using in a document several plots with each about 4000 points
> (qqnorm(rnorm(4000))). It looks likes the information of each points is
> maintained in the graph. As a result of that the pdf filesize get's
> quite large (about 4,2 MB for a 23 page document.) Is there a way to
> reduce the complexity of these graphs? Like creating the graphs in a
> bitmap format instead of a vector format?

Reducing the 'bulkiness' of scatterplots was discussed in this thread:

 	http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/42111.html

where techniques for removing overlapping points and alternatives to
the simple scatterplot were discussed.

[...]

Charles C. Berry                        (858) 534-2098
                                          Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu	         UC San Diego
http://biostat.ucsd.edu/~cberry/         La Jolla, San Diego 92093-0717