[R] predict.lda is missing ?

Larry White ljw1001 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 04:07:08 CET 2006

I'm trying to classify some observations using lda and I'm getting a
strange error.  I loaded the MASS package and created a model like so:

>train <- mod1[mod1$rand < 1.7,]
>classify <- mod1[mod1$rand >= 1.7,]
>lda_res <- lda(over_win ~ t1_scrd_a + t1_alwd_a, data=train, CV=TRUE)

That works, and all is well until I try to do a prediction for the holdouts:

>lda_pred <- predict(lda_res, classify)$class
Error in predict(lda_res, classify) : no applicable method for "predict"

If I try predict.lda specifically I get
> lda_pred <- predict.lda(lda_res, classify)$class
Error: could not find function "predict.lda"
> predict.lda
Error: object "predict.lda" not found
but i can get help for it by typing help(predict.lda), which says it's
in the MASS package.

If somebody could point out what I'm doing wrong I'd be grateful.
thanks