[R] Compilation of R under UBUNTU Edgy

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Nov 12 15:13:32 CET 2006

On 12 November 2006 at 09:22, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, Cressoni, Massimo (NIH/NHLBI) [F] wrote:
| > I am not able to compile R under ubuntu Edgy.
| > ./configure error message is
| > configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not available
| > I do not know which library is missing (I tried to install some X11 libs but were already on the system).
|
| Please consult R-admin.html as the INSTALL file asks you to.  Almost
| certainly the explanation is there.
|
| You didn't show us the previous messages, but very likely you are missing
| the X11 development package(s) and not a library.

Yes, and for Debian and Debian-derived distributions, doing

    $ sudo apt-get install r-base-dev

will get all the required dependencies for R and most R packages, incl. X11
headers.

But then again, as the R FAQ shows, there are also contributed binary
packages of R itself so you don't really need to compile yourself.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison