[R] Looking for greater floating-point precision

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 15:00:31 CET 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Paul Smith wrote:

> For my calculations, I am needing to use more floating-point precision
> than the default one of R. Is that possible? And, if yes, how?

See package gmp (but that will be slow and cumbersome for all but simple
calculations).

The real issue is that R already uses the maximum precision of the FPU for
many common FPUs (but not all).  Since you have forgotten to tell us
anything about your environment we don't know if that applies: there may
be compiler options you can use to raise the precision.

Please do study the posting guide: we are surprisingly good at
mind-reading, but prefer to be told exactly what you want to do with R in
what environment and why you are 'needing' something.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk