[R] How to set up R for Macbook Pro Intel Core Duo

Tobias tobias_elbert at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 17 12:57:28 CET 2006

I just recently purchased a Macbook Pro, Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 512 MB RAM.

After looking through several articles in this forum I found the link to the
R Mac Wiki. I am not that tech-savy but it appeared to me that this link,

http://wiki.urbanek.info/index.cgi?IntelMacR

describes how to install R on a Intel Mac Core Duo to utilise the two cores.

I have also downloaded and installed the universal binary from the CRAN
website. My question now is whether the universal binary package already
sets up R on my Mac in such a way that allows for the utilisation of the two
cores or whether I have to go through the tutorial article of the R Wiki?

I just ran some code that took about 8 hours on my old Windows machine
(Pentium 3, 2.7 GHz, 1GB RAM) to complete on the Mac and it appears to be
roughly 50% slower. That makes me wonder, of course, whether both cores are
being utilised!

Could someone please advice whether I should go through the Wiki article to
set up R or whether it already had been set up properly through the
universal binary package?

Many thanks

Tobias