[R] Gantt chart problem after upgrade to R 2.4.0

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 17 17:14:18 CET 2006

http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/RGraphGallery.php?graph=74

> > and successful produced a simple gantt chart.
> However
> > when I upgraded to 2.4.0 it no longer works as
> > desired.  See
> >
> http://ca.geocities.com/jrkrideau/R/gantproblem.pdf
> > for the two charts. The charts were produced today
> > using the same version of plotrix (installed on
> both
> > versions of R today)
> >
> > System : Windows XP
> >
> >  I am pretty new to R and especially to plotrix
> and I
> > don't see what I am doing wrong.  I have tried to
> play
> > around with the Ymd.format with no luck    Have I
> > missed something in the upgrade notes? Can anyone
> > suggest something? Thanks
> >
> Hi John,
> I tried your code at home on a Linux system with
> R-2.3.1 and it seemed
> to work fine. Unfortunately, I can't try it on
> Windows until I get to
> work on Tuesday. I'll try to upgrade this box (I
> have been somewhat wary
> with all the things that seem to have gotten a bit
> bent) this weekend
> and try it again.
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim. It is good to know that R-2.3.1 is okay
across the board. Now the problem is: Why can not I do
the same in 2.4.0?

Unfortunately I don't have  access to a linux box to
see if it is a Windows problem.

I actually was quite proud of getting those dates to
work on the top of the chart and it is frustating not
to get them to work in 2.4.0, particularly as I the
reason for the chart was that I was recommending R to
someone as a simple and easy way to do some timelines
that he was doing in Excel(not real gantt charts).

I only realised that R did gantt charts after spending
2 (long) days plotting timelines with Excel which was
faster than learning a new Gantt progam :(.

I could have done the whole thing from scatch in R in
a couple of hours even though plotrix was new to me.
( 15 minutes now)