[R] lattice layout multiple pages

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 22:40:46 CET 2006

On 11/18/06, Patrick Giraudoux <patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Using  lattice I would like to print a conditionnal plot of 32 panels in
> a limited number of panels (eg 4) in each of several pages:
>
> xyplot(pds~time|Idnid,data=croispond3,layout=c(4,4))
>
> This works well in principle, but the pages are printed without any
> possibility of stopping  the printing process before each next page. I
> have tried  par(ask=T) before the xyplot command line but it does not
> work for some reasons.

You need the grid equivalent,

grid::grid.prompt(TRUE)

(and FALSE to restore). I'm toying with the idea of making
par(ask=TRUE) work as well.

> Also I would like to print those pages to a device (eg using
> win.metafile(filename = "myfile")), but I wonder how to manage not to
> make each page file created overwritten by the next one in this context.

Don't know about win.metafile (have you tried it? Does it really
overwrite previous pages?), but pdf etc have options (described in
their help page) to produce either a single multi-page files or
multiple single-page files.

-Deepayan