[R] Is there any R package to calcualte "Power" for ANCOVA

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Mon Nov 20 23:49:05 CET 2006

I don't know of any existing packages or functions to compute power for
general ancova, but here are 2 approaches using existing tools:

1.  If the main focus is on the anova/t-test portion and the covariates
are only there to adjust for potential differences in the groups then
just use power.anova.test or power.t.test and add an additional
subject/unit for each degree of freedom to be used by the covariates.

2.  Write a function that simulates data like you expect to see and does
the analysis of interest.  Run the function a bunch of times to see how
often it rejects.  Repeat for other sample sizes.

Number 2 is how I do most my power calculations these days.  Hope this
helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center