[R] plotting a groupedData object

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 22 19:58:27 CET 2006

On 11/22/06, Lisa Avery <lisa_avery at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hello all,

> I am plotting a groupedData object and the key at the top of the graph runs
> off the page. I don't want to set key=F because it is useful (or would be if
> I could see it).

> Is it possible to explicitly cause the key to wrap? I have used this
> function before with no trouble but now I have just 5 groups with rather
> long descriptions (which I can't meaningfully shorten).

Plotting a groupedData object is just a convenient way of accessing
the 'xyplot' function from the lattice package.  If you need finer
control over the plot than is available through groupedData then I
suggest that you call xyplot directly.  Wading through the
descriptions of all the options in xyplot is a formidable task but the
results are worth it.  In particular it took me a long time to work
out how to use the auto.key argument to get exactly what I wanted but
now I can generally get what I want on the first or second try.

The nlme package was initially written for S and the graphics used the
trellis formulation.  Later it was ported to R and lattice graphics.
With Deepayan's continuing development of the lattice package it is
now far beyond the capabilities of trellis graphics so I would
recommend using lattice directly.