[R] reaccessing array at a later date - trying to write it to file

Jenny Barnes jmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 23 15:47:54 CET 2006

Thank you for your response Professor Ripley,

Having tried again your suggestion of load() worked (well - it finished, which I
assume it meant it worked). However not I am confused as to how I can check it
has worked.
I typed
>data.out$data
which called up the data from the file - but I'm not sure if this is data from
the file I have just restored as in my "previously saved workspace restored"
data.out is still there so if I typed data.out$data I wouldn't know if it was
coming from the newly loaded file or from previously. Is there an alternative
way to check it has loaded properly? Also, is it normal that if I type
>data.out.RData
it says
Error: object "data.out.RData" not found

Here are my details:

platform       sparc-sun-solaris2.10
arch           sparc
os             solaris2.10
system         sparc, solaris2.10
status
major          2
minor          3.1
year           2006
month          06
day            01
svn rev        38247
language       R
version.string Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)

My computer shouldn't have a problem with dealing with this data.

>On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Jenny Barnes wrote:
>
>> Dear R-help community
>>
>> I am trying to write an R object (data.out) to a file in order to re-access
it
>> later and not have to re-load up the array with data every time. Here is the
>> form of data.out
>>
>>> data.out <- list(lats=seq(88.542, -88.542, length=94),
>> 		  lons=seq(0, 360-1.875, length=192),
>> 		  date=vector(length=nyr*12),
>> 		  data=array(NA, c(nyr*12, 94*192))
>> )
>>
>> I tried
>>> save(data.out, file="/home/jenny/data/data.out.RData", ascii=TRUE) and
>> combination of ways to re-access it but I couldn't reaccess it and therefore
use
>> the data within.
>
>What stopped you re-accessing it?  I would use
>
>save(data.out, file="/home/jenny/data/data.out.RData")
>load("/home/jenny/data/data.out.RData")
>
>If that does not work, we need to see the transcript to (perhaps)
>understand why (and all the usual details about your environment: it is
>possible to save really large objects that you cannot restore on a
>32-bit machine).
>
>--
>Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
>Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
>University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
>1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
>Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jennifer Barnes
PhD student - long range drought prediction
Climate Extremes
Department of Space and Climate Physics
University College London
Holmbury St Mary, Dorking