[R] Random effects ANOVA

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Nov 24 23:31:48 CET 2006

Dear Luis,

I believe that lmer() doesn't print out standard errors or Wald tests for
variance-covariance components because these tests aren't reliable. You can
omit each random effect from the model in turn, and use anova() to perform a
likelihood-ratio test for the corresponding variance and covariance
components, comparing each null model with the full model.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology