[R] Nonlinear statistical modeling -- a comparison of R and AD Model Builder

dave fournier otter at otter-rsch.com
Fri Nov 24 23:33:40 CET 2006

       Dave
 > Did you try supplying gradient information to nlminb?  (I note that
nlminb is used for the optimization, but I don't see any gradient
information supplied to it.) I would suspect that supplying gradient
information would greatly speed up the computation (as you note in
comments at http://otter-rsch.ca/tresults.htm.)

Actually you should probably ask Norm Olsen these questions.
I am not proficient in R and am just using his code.

However I can say that providing derivatives for such a model is a
highly nontrivial exercise. As I said in my posting, the  R script and
data are available to anyone who feels that the exercise was not carried
out properly and would like to improve on it. Also one does not need
to provide derivatives to the AD Model Builder program.

Finally suppose that you are very good at calculating derivatives and
manage to get them right. Then someone else comes along who wants to
modify the model. Unless they are also very good at calculating
derivatives there will be trouble.

 > I'm curious -- when you say "R may not be a suitable platform for
development for such models", what aspect of R do you feel is lacking?
Is it the specific optimization routines available, or is it some other
more general aspect?

2 seconds vs 90 minutes. For a real problem of tihs type the timings
would probably be something like 10 minutes vs more than 2,700 minutes.

 > Also, another optimization algorithm available in R is the "L-BFGS-B"
method for optim() in the MASS package.  I've had extremely good
experiences with using this code in S-PLUS.  It can take box
constraints, and can use gradient information.  It is my first choice
for most optimization problems, and I believe it is very widely used.
Did you try using that optimization routine with this problem?

--
David A. Fournier
P.O. Box 2040,

--