[R] Nonlinear statistical modeling -- a comparison of R and AD Model Builder

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Nov 25 00:03:48 CET 2006

Hi, Mike & Dave:

      Have you considered nonlinear mixed effects models for the types
of problems considered in the comparison paper you cite?  Those
"benchmark trials" consider "T years of data ... for A age classes and
the total number of parameters is m = T+A+5".  Without knowing more
about the problem, I suspect that the T year parameters and the A age
class parameters might be better modeled as random effects.  If this
were done, the optimization problem would then involve 7 parameters, the
5 fixed-effect parameters suggested by the computation of "m" plus two
variance parameters, one for the random "year" effects and another for
the random "age class" effect.  This would replace the problem of
maximizing, e.g., a likelihood over T+A+5 parameters with one of
maximizing a marginal likelihood over 2+5 parameters after integrating
out the T and A random effects.

      These integrations may not be easy, and I might stick with the
fixed-effects solution if I couldn't get answers in the available time
using a model I thought would be theoretically more appropriate.  Also,
I might use the fixed-effects solution to get starting values for an
attempt to maximize a more appropriate marginal likelihood.  For the
latter, I might first try 'nlmle'.  If that failed, I might explore
Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC).  I have not done MCMC myself, but the
"MCMCpack" R package looks like it might make it feasible for the types
of problems considered in this comparison.  The CRAN summary of that
package led me to an Adobe Acrobat version of a PPT slide presentation
that seemed to consider just this type of problem (e.g.,
http://mcmcpack.wustl.edu/files/MartinQuinnMCMCpackslides.pdf).

      Have you considered that?
      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves