[R] Multiple Conditional Tranformations

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 13:37:20 CET 2006

Firstly your outline does not check once, it checks twice.  First it
check for "m" and then it redundantly checks for "f".  On the other
hand the two variations in my post do check once.

Although substantially longer than the solutions in my prior posts,
if you want the style shown in your post try this:

mydata2 <- cbind(mydata, score1 = 0, score2 = 0)
is.m <- mydata$gender == "m"

mydata2[is.m, ] <- transform(mydata[is.m, ],
   score1 = 3 * q1 + q2,
   score2 = 3.5 * q1 + q2
)

mydata2[!is.m,] <- transform(mydata2[!is.m, ],
   score1 = 2 * q1 + q2,
   score2 = 2.5 * q1 + q2
)