[R] RSQLite +textConnection()

Alexander Nervedi alexnerdy at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 28 01:41:41 CET 2006

Hi !

I am trying to read in 1000 really small text files.  When on adams, R bails
out after reading 125 files with the error message

Error in textConnection(readLines(f, n = 2)) :
        all connections are in use

I have traced this to a call to the scan() function which is at that point
trying to read tge 126th data file.  I have tried specifically closing each
connection i open after loading a file to avoid this. But that fails and I
get the same error message. I googled and hit on a conversation between
Professor Ripley and Dirk Eddelbuettel
<https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-db/2006-July/000208.html> that talks
about a similar problem  - there the suggestion made which apparently worked
was to fix a function called mysqlImportFile(). But i dont see this function
being even in memory now.

Peculiarly, I am able to read upto 200 files when i am in windows.

I am hoping someone with more expereince with linux and/or RSQLite will have
some suggestions. thanks!

Alex