[R] comments in scan

Simon Blomberg simonb at cres10.anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 28 02:09:05 CET 2006

You may want to set blank.lines.skip=TRUE too.

Simon.

> From ?scan :
>
> If |comment.char| occurs (except inside a quoted character field), it
> signals that the rest of the line should be regarded as a comment and be
> discarded. Lines beginning with a comment character (possibly after
> white space with the default separator) are treated as blank lines.
>
> So, set comment.char="#"
>
> and you should be fine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.
>
> Jarrett Byrnes wrote:

> I had a question about scan in R.  For better code readability, I
> would like to have lines in the block of data to be scanned that are
> commented - not just lines that have a comment at the end.  For example
>
> #age, weight, height
> 33,128,65
> 34,56,155
>
> instead of having to do something like
>
> 33,128,65 #age, weight, height
> 34,56,155
>

> Is this at all possible?

Simon Blomberg, B.Sc.(Hons.), Ph.D, M.App.Stat.
Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200
Australia
T: +61 2 6125 7800 email: Simon.Blomberg_at_anu.edu.au
F: +61 2 6125 0757
CRICOS Provider # 00120C

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer
can be extracted from a given body of data.
- John Tukey.