[R] errbar won't provide log axes

Kenneth Benoit kbenoit at tcd.ie
Tue Nov 28 16:20:14 CET 2006

Dear R users,

I am constructing a horizontal error bar plot with Hmisc's errbar()
command and I cannot get it to keep the par(ylog=TRUE) setting, nor to
pass the argument as the documentation supposedly says should work.

In other words

errbar(df$x,df$y, df$yminus, df$yplus, log="y")
or
errbar(df$x,df$y, df$yminus, df$yplus, ylog=TRUE)

yields the same unlogged axis as
errbar(df$x,df$y, df$yminus, df$yplus)

and if I set par(ylog=TRUE)
then it resets to FALSE following the errbar() call.

Please note that I searched everywhere through the R-help archives and
on the Internet generally and have not found any mention of this
problem.  Many thanks for any help.

Ken

Kenneth Benoit
Associate Professor of Political Science
Department of Political Science, Trinity College
Dublin 2, Ireland
http://benoit.tcd.ie
Tel: 353-1-608-2491
Fax: 353-1-677-0546