[R] rJava is great

Jason Liao jg_liao at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 17:43:06 CET 2006

I just wanted to share my great experience with rJava package. Anyway,
I had a computationally critical piece for which R is very inefficient
(more than 100 times of speed penalty). I first tried to implement in
Fortran 95 but became more and more frustrated with its syntax. So I
gave up. I then wrote in Java which is so much more pleasant. A huge
problem is then to link Java with R and I found this rJava package. My
experience with rJava has been extremely positive: it makes calling
Java code from R really easy. More importantly, it allows you to save a
complicated Java object in R and pass back to a Java method later (I
was not able to do that between R and Fortran 90).

My huge thanks to people of RoSuDa team.

Jason Liao, http://www.geocities.com/jg_liao
Associate Professor of Biostatistics
Drexel University School of Public Health
245 N. 15th Street, Mail Stop 660
Philadelphia, PA 19102-1192
phone 215-762-3934