[R] comma delimiter & comma in text

Alexander Nervedi alexnerdy at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 08:02:59 CET 2006

Hi

I have data like

1, A, 24, The Red House
2, A, 25, King's Home, by the Sea

I'd like to read this in as three variables. I first tried

temp <-read.csv(addresses, sep = "," ) it worked but line 2 was broken after
King's Home, and by the Sea as placed in another line. and so i eneded up
with more number of rows than in the data. when i tried
temp <-read.csv(addresses, sep = "," , flush = TRUE) i got things right
number of rows, but column 3 was truncated till the 3rd comma.

Is there a way i can specify to R that "King's Home, by the Sea" is one
word?

u r pal, al