[R] building R 2.4.0 on aix

Eric Harley ericctharley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 16:05:01 CET 2006

Roy and others,

I'm also trying to build R 2.4.0 on aix 5 (5.3 in my case, on an
Intellistation Power 285) and I have not had luck yet.  I notice that
the only mentions of AIX on this list in the past two months are
people not having luck building it.  So far there don't seem to be any
questions, or because this isn't the right place to ask the questions.

Does anyone know a good place to ask such questions?  If this is the
right place, please let me know what information you need.

I am unfortunately very new to this business of compiling and linking
on Unix, so I have trouble knowing what information to provide.

Here's my stab at troubleshooting, which is basically trial-and-error:

===
tried just to type ./configure (I can always dream, right?  :-) )
Failed with the following problem in config.log

configure:26491: checking how to get verbose linking output from f95
configure:26502: f95 -c  conftest.f >&5
f95: 1501-218 file conftest.f contains an incorrect file suffix
configure:26508: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
|       program main
|
|       end
configure:26587: WARNING: compilation failed
configure:26593: result:
config.log (93%)

===
A little playing around shows me that f95 doesn't like to compile
files ending in .f, so I try doing
./configure F77=f77

In this case, the configure script completes successfully.
Now I try
make

but make exits early with errors.
make check
gives

make: 1254-002 Cannot find a rule to create target
../../src/library/base/all.R from dependencies.
Stop.

and a few other 1254-004 errors.

===
There are some examples in
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html , particularly in
the AIX platform notes (C.9 AIX).  However, the second paragraph says
"The rest of this section is historical, as the default *_LDFLAGS were
changed in R 2.4.0." so evidently the examples don't apply to the
current version of R.  I tried some frankenstein combinations of the
options given in the examples, using the xl*_* compilers since I don't
have gfortran on my system, but this kind of thing is time-consuming
when I'm essentially making random changes.

I'm hoping that someone with more experience than I can at least help
me sort through the "Cannot find a rule to create target" error, and
that maybe I can proceed somehow one error at a time and finally end
up with something that works.

BTW, I did try to google the "Cannot find a rule to create target"
"from dependencies", but I don't get much that I can understand.  One
message said something about this means make can't find the source
code.  If this is the problem, how can I figure out what source code
make is looking for, where it's looking for it, and how to tell it the
right place to look?  Or perhaps there's something else I'm missing?

Thanks,
Eric Harley