[R] Aggregating data

David Kaplan dkaplan at education.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 29 20:16:28 CET 2006

Chuck and others.  Here is the problem I need help on.  Thanks.

--------------------

I want to follow-up on a question I had a week or so ago.  I want to
aggregate a very large data set.  Generally in a program such as SPSS,
one chooses a so-called "break variable" that is the variable, and then
the remaining variables are aggregated by that variable with some
summary statistic calculated - such as the mean.

I played with "aggregate" in R and found that it requires a "by"
statement listing the variables.  But I don't see how I can aggregate on
one variable and create the summary statistics on the remaining
variables.  I hope that was clear.  Thanks for an advice in advance.

David
David Kaplan, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Educational Psychology