[R] packages about discriminant analysis

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 08:35:26 CET 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Feng Qiu wrote:

> Hi guys:
>           I'm testing some statistic discriminant analysis methods in R.
> But I couldn't find the package for these methods:

Where have you been looking?  MASS (the book) has the first two of these,
and using search.r-project.org would also give useful hits.

>           1. Discriminant analysis implemented with nearest neighbor
> method,

I don't think there is such a thing, but knn() in package class seems to
be what you intended (it is classification not discriminant analysis)

>           2. logistic discriminant analysis

glm() and multinom() (in package nnet).

>           3. POLYCLASS algorithm( there is such a function in S-Plus,
> namely poly.fit from polyclass library. Is there a corresponding library in
> R? )

Package polspline.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk