[R] variance functions in glmmPQL or glm?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Oct 2 01:14:01 CEST 2006

      What are you trying to do with varIdent with logistic regression
with variance components?  Have you considered the weights argument in
glm or glmmPQL?  It sounds to me like you are trying to estimate 'size'
for a binomial distribution, and I have trouble visualizing a context
where that would be reasonable that would NOT be handled by the random
effects portion of glmmPQL{MASS} or lmer{lme4}.

      If you'd like more help from this listserve, please provide
commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code, as suggested in
the posting guide "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".

      Hope this helps, even if it doesn't answer your question.
      Spencer Graves